5 signs you may have electrical problems in your home

Electricity is something most of us take for granted. When you need it, you simply turn to the closest outlet or switch, and there it is, ready to serve you 24 hours a day. Electricity illuminates our homes, keeps them warm or cool, and of course, powers all our appliances. Yet, the electric energy we faithfully depend on is also a potential source of destruction.

Faulty wiring and malfunctions account for thousands of preventable house fires yearly. To avoid falling into this statistic, there are some warning signs to look out for which could indicate you have electrical problems in your home, like those listed below.

Flicking or dimming lights

Lighting is one of the most important elements of any home. The right lighting can largely impact your home’s mood and transform a room’s shape and size. When you switch on your lights, do you notice they flicker? Or maybe your lights are dimming often? If you answer yes to either of these, it’s time to call in an electrician. This is because flicking or dimming lights could signal faulty wiring or an overloaded circuit. A serious wiring problem like this could quickly lead to an electrical fire, so don’t wait around before asking an expert for advice.

e597d8da bad electricals

Burning smell

New appliances may emit a smell the first couple of times it’s switched on. But, if you start noticing a strange odour coming from the outlet, switch it off immediately and anything connected to it. A burning smell could signal something is seriously wrong. Now is the time to find an electrician. MyBuilder can help you find reputable electricians in London. They have reviews from other customers, too so you can be confident you’ve got the right person for the job.

98f33c66 electrician


Sparking is always a bad sign that must never be ignored. If your fuse box or circuit breaker is sparking, you must immediately call an electrician. For example, if your toaster is sparking, this could mean the fixture is damaged, rather than the fuse box. Just make sure not to use it until you’ve had it checked out first.

Discoloured, charred, or buzzing switches and outlets

Outlets and switches should never be hot to the touch, charred, or buzzing. These are all indicators of a potentially serious problem, like faulty wiring inside or close to the outlet, or a loose connection on the switch. Even if it’s a minor repair, you should always leave this in the hands of an electrician, rather than going down the DIY route.

Rodent droppings

Rats and mice love nothing more than to chew on electrical wiring. Unfortunately for you, this can cause your wiring to become damaged or frayed, which is definitely a fire hazard. If you spot any droppings or signs of rodent activity in your loft, now is the time to call in pest control. It’s best to report a pest problem as quickly as possible.

No one is saying you need to be a qualified electrician to spot any of the above. Should you have any concerns and resonate with anything we’ve discussed, don’t delay in calling out the experts. The sooner you do so, the better.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *